Poetry Friday: Spring

April 17th, 2009

Here is a poem from Bill Varner’s son, Alexander:

This week’s poem comes from none other than Alexander Varner, 7-years-old and a second-grader. And yes, in the interest of full disclosure, he is my son. I wouldn’t call him a reluctant writer, but math is more his thing. So I was so pleased to discover this poem in his backpack last week. With spring finally starting to take hold here in Maine, I thought this was wonderful for many reasons:

Spring
by Alexander Varner
When the sun comes up
in the morning
when the sun comes up
and you wake up
the flowers bloom.
The bees come to get pollen
and the birds come out to chirp.
Splish, splash the water.
The sticks breaking
crunching, cracking
as I walk along.

Entry Filed under: Poetry Friday

• 1. Jet  |  April 17th, 2009 at 9:46 am

Wow! That is an awesome poem . . .

Jet

• 2. Lisa Chellman  |  April 18th, 2009 at 10:11 am

I love the rhythm of the first half — the repetition of “when the sun comes up” — and the onomatopoeia of the last half. Whether or not your son wants to admit it, seems like he’s got an ear for poetry. 🙂

• 3. Mary Lee  |  April 19th, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Yay, Alexander! Poetry and math go together, so WRITE ON!!

• 4. Pam Mulcahey  |  April 20th, 2009 at 9:22 am

Alex I am so glad you shared your spring poem with your dad! He is so proud of your work and so am I. I hope your dad gets a chance to stop in and see your collage that illustrates your spring poem.

• 5. Isabella Varner  |  April 20th, 2009 at 11:27 am

As a retired first grade teacher and grandmother this poem by Alexander makes me smile and my heart sing.

• 6. Jeff Bearden  |  April 21st, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Great job, Alexander! I’m proud of you!

Dr. Bearden
    Supt of Schools

• 7. Mrs. Mulcahey's Class  |  April 27th, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Alex we loved your poem! It is a good springy poem. We are so proud of you. We know that you worked hard on it. We like the sound effects in your poem. We like all of the springy words in it. We like your describing words. It is the best poem we ever heard. Terrific job!!! Tell your dad thanks for sharing your poem on his blog. Blogging is awesome!

From your second grade friends at Central School