Poetry Friday: Poems by Olivia Varner

May 29th, 2009

This week’s poems come from our editor Bill Varner’s daughter, Olivia.

This week my daughter Olivia, a newly minted ten-year-old and fourth grader, missed Author and Artist night at her school because she was sick. She wasn’t the only one who was disappointed. She’d written and illustrated two poems that she was to share. When her younger brother was on here a few weeks ago, she pleaded for me to post her poem entitled “My Brother’s Stinky Socks and Dirty Underwear,” but my editorial sense said “hmmmmm….not such a good idea.” For her brother.

Here are the two poems she was to read. One reminds me of one of my all-time favorites, John Lennon. That’s my girl!

Rain and What Comes After
By Olivia Varner

I am sitting here
watching rain drip, drop.
Drip, drop,
Go into puddles
I have an umbrella
Things are clearing up
A beautiful, outrageous,
Gorgeous thing, it’s, it’s
A rainbow

Think
By Olivia Varner

Think if there was no such thing as life
No planets, human race, life, stars, space
Nothing, lifeless, gone.
And how did we get here anyway?
Did God make us?
We may never know;
It is a question mankind
may never find out.
I know it is scary.
But we do know we are here
And alive.

Entry Filed under: Poetry Friday

• 1. susan  |  May 29th, 2009 at 10:19 am

Olivia, you rock! I’m old so forgive me if ‘you rock’ is funny. Love your poems. Especially like the title of your first one. Titles are so important.

• 2. Isabella Varner  |  May 29th, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Olivia,
    Your poems are wonderful. I loved your appreciation of the wonder of the world around you in your first poem. I loved your deeper thought poem with its joyful ending.
    Once again this old primary teacher and grandmother’s heart sang as she read your poetry.
    Keep writing, Olivia.
    Love,
    Mimi

• 3. Irene Latham  |  May 29th, 2009 at 7:55 pm

These are gorgeous! I especially love that title “Rain and What Comes After.” I may have to borrow that. 🙂

• 4. Herb Broda  |  May 29th, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Thanks, Olivia, for sharing your beautifull poetry with us. You have a wonderful gift. The rain poem was very appropriate this evening in Ohio!
    Perhaps the Stinky Socks poem will appear in a future collection of your poetry!!
    I agree with your grandma– keep writing!!
    Herb Broda

• 5. Mary Lee  |  May 30th, 2009 at 7:44 am

Wow! Great poems, Olivia! I wish I could see the illustrations. I love how you celebrate nature and life. You ask big questions and look hard at the soggy stuff, but in the end, the world is beautiful and outrageous and definitely worth living in! HUZZAH!

• 6. Ann Marie Corgill  |  May 30th, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Dear Poet Olivia–Your poems are outrageous, gorgeous and so full of life! When I don’t feel I have the words to express what I’m feeling or thinking, I go to the writers who inspire me. Thanks for inspiring me with your beautiful words and poetic spirit! You should be so proud!

• 7. laura  |  June 2nd, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Well done Olivia! Your peoms touched me with their insight into the little things around us, and the grand universe we are swimming in! Keep writing and continue sharing. What a talented young lady you are.

• 8. Mark Overmeyer  |  June 3rd, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Olivia: I know your father appreciates and writes poetry, and so he must thrilled to be able to post your poetry here! You have captured a small moment in nature in one poem, and a big idea in another poem, and both made me think and reflect about what is really important in life. The rain poem especially spoke to me because we have had the most welcoming rain this spring in (normally) dry Colorado. Thank you for these gifts, Olivia…
    If you want an audience for the Stinky Socks poem, I am certainly game…
    Take care – enjoy summer!
    Mark Overmeyer