Poetry Friday: Stuff That Nobody Thinks About

September 24th, 2010

This week’s poem comes from six-year-old Ellie, who took her inspiration from Ralph Fletcher’s poetry book, Ordinary Things. Ellie’s poem appear’s in Ann Marie Corgill’s recent book, Of Primary Importance. I have to admit that I picked this poem for one line. I am a new mom – I am sure you can guess which line grabbed me!

Stuff That Nobody Thinks About

The warm feeling.
Butterflies in your tummy.
The smell of breakfast.
The sound of pencils sharpening.
The sound of birds chirping.
Books talking.
The look of funny faces.
The taste of melting chocolate in your mouth.
The feeling of dirt under your fingernail.
The sound of music in your ear.
Stories ringing in your head.
The feeling of tears rolling down your face.
The soft feeling of your mom’s hand.
The end.

Entry Filed under: Poetry Friday

• 1. laurasalas  |  September 27th, 2010 at 6:08 am

Gorgeous. I esp. love “Stories ringing in your head.” and “The feeling of dirt under your fingernail.” Wonderful!

• 2. Hannah L 2nd hour  |  October 3rd, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I personally enjoyed this poem very much. I liked how the child loved all of the little things – like the sound of pencils sharpening, and the silly faces. Many people forget to celebrate these things. It is wonderful that this child even described the not-so-great things, like the feeling of dirt under your fingernail. Also, the comforting things, like the smell of breakfast. I especially like the stories ringing in your head line. I really appreciate the author for reminding us of all of the things that we seem to forget about as we get older. In conclusion, I really liked this poem, and I can’t wait to read more poems in the future!

• 3. mackenzie milliner 5th hour  |  October 5th, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I thought that this poem was very good and im suprised that it was written by a six year old. I think the name of the poem really fits it, because those are quite a few things that people never really think of! i really liked the part where it say “the feeling of dirt under your fingernail” i enjoyed reading this poem and though that it was creative and i cant wait to see what other poems we get to read!!

• 4. George W. 5th hour  |  October 5th, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I like the line “the smell of breakfast in the morning” because it reminds me of when my mom makes me waffles in the morning, it is my favorite thing to eat in the morning. And I always look forward to it.

• 5. Saara K.  |  November 29th, 2010 at 9:46 am

I love this poem. Especially because its written by a six year old. This is very true because lots of people really do forget to just take their time and enjoy the little things. I once had a problem with that but now its all gone and I do think about things that nobody else thinks about. Its my favorite thing about life. Enjoying the little things.

• 6. Jessica H  |  November 29th, 2010 at 9:48 am

This poem was very interesting, and seems to have had a lot of thought put into it. I was extremely surprised to find out that it was written by a six year old…someone less than half my age! In any event, this poem is rather wonderful and I enjoyed it quite a bit.