October 19th, 2011
What skills do students need to explore an important question, idea, or topic?
What structures can teachers use to foster quality conversations in language arts, social studies, science, and other subjects?
Tapping their experiences as instructional coaches, Jeff Zwiers and Marie Crawford share a model for fostering effective classroom conversations in their new book, Academic Conversations. Readers will discover how to:
- build critical thinking and academic vocabulary;
- enhance content understandings far beyond what tests require;
- improve students’ oral language skills—essential for academic and career success, but seldom practiced outside of school;
- assess student learning that doesn’t show up in writing or on tests;
- fortify lessons with rich, authentic conversations through subject-specific methods such as history case studies, creative writing projects, and science labs.
Filled with dozens of activities and examples of real dialogue by diverse students, Academic Conversations will make your classroom a place where students independently initiate and sustain conversations that create, shape, and share important ideas. You can now preview the entire book and pre-order online!