Happy Teacher Appreciation Week

May 2nd, 2017

Teaching is not just a job — it’s a profession, a calling, a passion. And it’s hard work. For Teacher Appreciation Week we asked some of our authors why they love to teach, what keeps them passionate and engaged in the classroom or while writing professional books. Watch Stacey Shubitz (Craft Moves), Paula Bourque (Close Writing), Jennifer McDonough (Conferring with Young Writers), and Katie Cunningham (Story), talk about their love for the profession.

Why do you love to teach? Leave your response in the comments for a chance to win $100 in your choice of Stenhouse books. (Please comment by Friday, May 12, 2017, to be eligible for the drawing.)

Entry Filed under: Literacy

• 1. Martha Alvarado  |  May 8th, 2017 at 11:47 pm

I agree with my peers in terms of those wonderful moments when the kids get something that’s been so difficult for them. But one of the most impactful things for me is connecting with my students on a personal level. I love being able to relate with my students by sharing about my hopes and inspiration as a child, my family, and the similarities in our upbringing. The connection we create is amazing. They know they have a friend in me. And that fills my bucket every single day!

• 2. Dorothy Rice  |  May 9th, 2017 at 3:56 pm

I love teaching because I am able to teach those kids that others think aren’t smart, those who look at them like there less than the normal student. I am able to come to work every day and it is a new adventure into my teaching and my students learning. I teach special education students and I wouldn’t want to teach any other group of kids. These kids come with an open heart and just want to be loved and treated like any other kid. I have been teaching special education for 17 years now and as a kid who was in special education I had a great teacher to teach me and give me a chance.

• 3. Lisa  |  May 9th, 2017 at 8:22 pm

It’s really a special privilege to help shape a person’s life!

• 4. Elisa Waingort  |  May 12th, 2017 at 9:57 am

I love to teach because every day is a new adventure with my students. I get many opportunities for do overs and am able to tell my students, “Hey, I messed up yesterday. I’m sorry I was short-tempered. I’ll try to do better today.” I love to teach because I learn something new every day, from my students, my colleagues and professional mentors whose books I read, many of whom I’ve never met! I love to teach because it’s exciting to never know how something is going to go and that I have the ability to make changes on the spot based on what my students are telling me about how an activity is going. I love to teach because it makes me happy to spend my days with kids who are always energetic, surprising and joyful. I love to teach because all of these factors keep me young at heart and on my toes. Not many professions can claim all of these perks!

• 5. Leigh Anne Eck  |  May 12th, 2017 at 11:30 am

I live and teach in a high poverty area. Many of my students come broken homes with few positive role models. I teach because I want to show them a way out exists. I want them to believe in the possible. One of my many teaching mantras is If not me, then who?

• 6. Lehua Gerboc-Naulangi  |  May 12th, 2017 at 6:25 pm

I love teaching because I love learning! And I’m lucky enough that I get to pass on that love of learning to my own students! I enjoy seeing the light bulb go on when they finally “get” something and see their true joy for something new come alive! And I love most that I get to be a part of that!

• 7. Michelle Nero  |  May 12th, 2017 at 7:37 pm

I love to teach to make a difference one child at a time. Every child needs a champion. Someone they can count on. Someone who will cheer them on. Someone who gets them … so then I can get to them. I love to teach because of those kids, those eyes, that smile. I love to help developing readers see that they ARE readers, writers, and thinkers! I love to help connect readers to books and books to readers. Teaching is a passion and I’m proud to be called a teacher!

• 8. stenhouse  |  May 15th, 2017 at 9:06 am

Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments! The winner of the $100 Stenhouse gift certificate is Dorothy Rice. Please e-mail zmcmullin at stenhouse dot com!