Ratios and proportional relationships permeate our daily lives and underpin further study in mathematics and science. Understanding them and developing related problem-solving skills is essential and an important part of the Common Core Standards for grades six and seven.
It’s All Relative is a 98-page flipchart designed to engage students and develop deep conceptual understandings while correcting common misconceptions. Following the same practical format as the popular Xs and Whys of Algebra and Zeroing in on Number and Operations series, Anne Collins and Linda Dacey provide 30 modules that focus on key ideas with instructional strategies, activities, and reproducibles for:
- understanding the language of ratios;
- understanding the multiplicative relationships of ratios;
- using tables, tape diagrams, double number line diagrams, and graphs to represent ratios;
- using unit rates and scale factors to solve problems; and
- solving multi-step ratio and percent problems.
All middle-level math teachers should have this handy flipchart at their fingertips during planning and instruction. You can download three of the modules now in PDF format.
Add comment January 28th, 2014