It’s always a challenge to think of new ways to foster independence and agency in students and break them of the habit of always asking, “How long does it have to be?” Consider switching from a teacher-directed writing program to a student-propelled workshop model with Jennifer Jacobson’s No More “How Long Does It Have to Be?”
Here is what you can find inside and how it can help you and your colleagues plan and implement new strategies in your writing instruction right away. And if you’re looking to add this to your summer book study, download the STUDY GUIDE.
Learn how to
- Build classroom spaces conducive to practicing thoughtful, engaging writing.
- Use mentor texts to lead creative discussions.
- Implement routines that support independent writers, such as minilessons, building stamina, conferring, sharing, and publishing.
- Launch units on narrative, informative, and persuasive writing.
- Use assessment, standardized testing, and publication to inform teaching.
Here's an example of some tips that are featured throughout the book.