Stenhouse Summer Writing ‘Blogstitute’

June 21st, 2011

Welcome to the first Stenhouse Summer Writing Blogstitute!

You must think “ah, here’s another weird techy-term! Blogstitute!” But let me assure you that we are calling our summer writing event a “blogstitute” because really there’s no better word for it. We toyed with the idea of calling it a “writing institute,” but that seemed a bit stuffy and structured. A blogstitute is more relaxed, informal, and most importantly, it takes place on a blog.

The event we are bringing you is a summer of blog entries by some of our newest authors who recently wrote books about writing and teaching writing. We hope that you will read their essays and get inspired to pick up pen and paper — or laptop — and create some writing magic of your own this summer. We also hope that you will take these classroom-tested ideas back to your students come September — but we will not make you think of September just yet!

Here are the topics you will read about starting July 6:

Student-initiated writing conferences by Stacey Shubitz (Day by Day)
Celebrating writers by Ruth Ayres (Day by Day)
Teaching students how to critique writing by Kate Messner (Real Revision)
Providing students with an authentic reason to write by Julie D. Ramsay (“Can We Skip Lunch and Keep Writing?”)
Making and taking time for your own writing by Carolyn Coman (Writing Stories)
The adventure essay as an alternative to the research paper by Peter Lourie and David Somoza (Writing to Explore)

Every conference/institute/blogstitute has to offer goodies and here is ours: You can purchase all five writing books mentioned above for $90 and save $18 off the regular price.

If you comment or ask a question about any of the articles during the blogstitute, you will be automatically entered to win a package of these books. Just make sure you comment by August 30.

So get ready to become a better writer this summer — see you on July 6!

Entry Filed under: Author News,Writing

• 1. Mrs. V  |  June 21st, 2011 at 8:49 pm

What a great idea! I look forward to each post and having them as a resource for a workshop training I will do at the start of August.

• 2. Mrs. D`  |  June 21st, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I can’t wait! Learning at my fingertips and a wealth of strategies I can use in my classroom. Awesome.

• 3. Barbara  |  June 22nd, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Do I need to sign up anywhere or do I just go on line on July 6th.
    I look forward to hearing more about this. In the meantime, I marked down the date on my ical!
    Barbara

• 4. Wanda Galey  |  June 22nd, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Looking forward to this one!

• 5. Wanda Galey  |  June 22nd, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Great sources for the classroom!!

• 6. ASarver  |  June 23rd, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I am thrilled to learn from experienced writing teachers and that I can do so while on vacation. Thank you for this idea; I’m anxiously awaiting.

• 7. Writing Resources «&hellip  |  June 23rd, 2011 at 4:31 pm

[…] July 6, you can be a part of Stenhouse Publishers’ Summer Writing ‘Blogstitute’. Seven of their new authors will be sharing about writing and teaching writing on the Stenhouse […]

• 8. Christy Rush-Levine  |  June 23rd, 2011 at 9:45 pm

What an incredible idea for summer professional growth. I already have some of the books in the package, but now I am adding the rest to my wishlist! Stenhouse rocks!

• 9. Shannon  |  June 24th, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Books have been ordered — teaching writing is definitely not my strong suit, and I love that I can learn from the comfort of my post in Hawaii!

• 10. Cheryl Pinette  |  June 25th, 2011 at 9:50 am

Fantastic idea! I can’t wait to gain insight from folks from around the country(globe). This is very timely for our professional development in the fall.

• 11. Debbie Blanchette  |  June 25th, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Wow! This is great!

• 12. Blogstitute « TWO W&hellip  |  June 25th, 2011 at 11:58 pm

[…] For more information about Stenhouse’s Blogstitute, please click here. […]

• 13. Tara  |  June 26th, 2011 at 7:52 am

This is wonderful…I can’t wait to begin!

• 14. Kelly mogk  |  June 26th, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Great topics! Will the blog posts each be on the author’s blogs or here on the Stenhouse blog? Can’t wait!

• 15. Debbie dean  |  June 26th, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Similar comments as above. . .great idea and wonderful writers and teachers to learn from. How do we join? Do we need to do anything special?

• 16. Melanie  |  June 27th, 2011 at 7:41 am

This idea is great! I look forward to reading about the different topics!

• 17. Dee  |  June 28th, 2011 at 8:57 am

What a wondeful idea and great use of technology in a relaxed atmosphere.

• 18. Terry  |  June 28th, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I am so excited about this idea! I just purchased Day by Day and plan to read it over the summer. I love returning in September with lots of fresh ideas. Thank you!

• 19. Cherry Thorpe  |  July 3rd, 2011 at 11:37 am

This sounds interesting . I will certainly make use of this opportunity.

• 20. KellyM  |  July 5th, 2011 at 10:30 am

This is exactly the kind of PD opportunity I’ve been wishing for! I can’t wait to gather insight from not only such notable authors, but other teachers around the country. Thanks! I can’t wait to get started!

• 21. Summer Writing “Blo&hellip  |  July 6th, 2011 at 7:52 am

[…] above, plus ours, at a discounted package price.  For more information about that package just click here.  Finally, if you leave a comment or ask a question about any of the articles during the […]

• 22. Holly Mencer  |  July 6th, 2011 at 9:31 am

I loved the comment from Kate, “I’m an OK writer, but I’m a really good reviser.” Also, Stacey mentioned that she does not allow the students to ask, “Is this good?” because “good” is in the eye of the beholder. So true. Both of these ladies make great points. I’m looking forward to the upcoming blog posts!

• 23. Ruth Ferris  |  July 7th, 2011 at 11:11 am

What a great collection. I have two of the books, the other three are now on my wish list! I really want to share these titles with other teachers I know.

• 24. Joanne Blouin  |  July 7th, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I am thrilled to be able to get so much information from one site. I look forward to being a part of this.