Why do you write?

October 17th, 2011

Such a simple question, with so many possible answers! Thursday, October 20, is the third annual National Day on Writing and the Stenhouse Blog will join the celebration by asking you to answer the question: Why do you write?

Here is what some of our authors said:

” Writing allows me to build a whole city and all its inhabitants — not out of mortar and metal, skin and blood — but of words.” (Ralph Fletcher)

“Writing is waiting for a place to happen. As writing teachers, we just need to create the space.” (Jeff Anderson)

“I write so that I can teach children that their ideas matter and their words have power.” (Ann Marie Corgill)

Leave your response in the comments section between now and Thursday and you could be one of 20 winners to receive this fabulous poster with more inspiring quotes on writing:

Entry Filed under: Writing

• 1. Gayle K. Hobbs  |  October 17th, 2011 at 8:29 am

I write well… these words are just hanging around in my head looking for a place to sit. They bounce and bungle until I finally find a paper and place them neatly on the page. Sometimes they want to move around and sit next to others. But most often they seem content to rest where they are. I feel great when I become a welcome host to a party of words.

• 2. Linda Baie  |  October 17th, 2011 at 8:36 am

I write to find out who I am, and then to show my students that they can make discoveries about themselves, too.

• 3. Susan Scofield  |  October 17th, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Writing lends an ear to my hopes and dreams, offers a release for worry and guilt, and gives my soul a voice. My words inform others of struggles and triumphs–both my own and those who move me.

• 4. Maureen Barbieri  |  October 17th, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I write, first of all, to find out what I really think about my experiences and observations. Sometimes, when I’m brave enough, I share writing – “my barbaric yawp” — with other people for the chance to make human connections and feel less alone in this world.

• 5. Michelle Vanderburg  |  October 17th, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I write because sometimes it’s the best way to express my feelings. Something about getting it down on paper helps me organize my thoughts and emotions.

• 6. Adam Krauss  |  October 17th, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I write because Instinct has declared I must … and because Maureen tells me to!

• 7. Michelle Nero  |  October 17th, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Wow! Such a simple question with so many possible answers. I write for me. I write to capture a moment. I write to struggle through the process so that I can teach my students and help them find their voice.

• 8. Donna Smith  |  October 18th, 2011 at 10:12 am

Writing is not a choice. Writing is a challenge put forth by my inner me. It’s the reason I write. It has always been there as far back as I can remember. Addiction and obsession are too negative sounding but could be factors. LIberation and communication…now those are the results of the addiction/obsession, but they sound much better! Let’s keep this positive!

• 9. Hogan Hayes  |  October 18th, 2011 at 12:40 pm

My writing is how I build, strengthen, and come to better understand the relationships I have with my family, my community, my students, my peers, my environment, and myself.

• 10. Cindy McIntyre  |  October 18th, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I write , not just to make sense of the world, but to get a better sense of who I am. Most of my writing is personal. My poetry and narratives help me to work out questions I have or problems I’m facing. My writing often challenges me to be a better person.

• 11. Julie  |  October 18th, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I write to remember…

• 12. Kelli  |  October 19th, 2011 at 7:18 am

I write to find out what I’m really thinking.

• 13. Molly Coffman  |  October 19th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Since I was a little girl, I have written to celebrate the imagination, a place where anything can happen. I write to experiment with the power of words.

• 14. Debbie  |  October 19th, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I write to get to know myself. Writing helps me to slow down life long enough to appreciate my world. Writing gives me a chance to take a deep breath each day.

• 15. Randi Allison  |  October 20th, 2011 at 9:29 am

Writing is proof of the present- I write to see where I’ve been, which helps to guide me to all the possibilities of where I want to go! If I didn’t write how would I know who I am? I can’t imagine life without blank paper and a black rollerball!

• 16. Mitch Nobis  |  October 20th, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I write because life is made of stories.

• 17. Emily  |  October 20th, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I write to learn more about myself and to help others understand me.

• 18. Sheila  |  October 20th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I write to allow myself to say something about anything. I write to break free from the many voices wanting to be heard. I write because I must. My enlightenment depends on it.

• 19. Deb  |  October 20th, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I write to understand all the thoughts spinning in my mind. I write to hear my voice. I write because it cleanses my mind and inspires new perspectives.

• 20. stenhouse  |  October 24th, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Hi Susan! Please e-mail your mailing address to zmcmullin@stenhouse.com to receive your poster!

• 21. Christina Brenneman  |  August 9th, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I write to free my mind.

• 22. Emily Robinson  |  May 14th, 2015 at 9:06 pm

I write to disappear. To enter my world entirely of my own. To escape reality. To be myself, and express exactly how I feel. I also write to say I how I really feel, to know how I’m really thinking. I write to know who I am exactly. I write to escape.

• 23. Tess Wigginton  |  December 19th, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Is it possible to purchase one of these wonderful posters?

• 24. stenhouse  |  December 21st, 2015 at 10:51 am

I am sorry, but we no longer have these posters.