Aimee Buckner talks Nonfiction Notebooks

November 20th, 2013

“What are the strategies that teachers and students can use to develop their ideas in informational writing? What are some ways that students can research and not become so overwhelmed that they get lost in their own piece?”

–Aimee Buckner

We recently sat down with Aimee Buckner to talk about her new book, Nonfiction Notebooks. In this short video, Aimee explains how writing notebooks can help students gather relevant information and practice writing in this genre, while directly supporting the Common Core State Standards:

Entry Filed under: Writing

• 1. Robbin Rossi  |  June 26th, 2014 at 9:19 am

Thanks for sharing all the great non fiction books today. The books lend themselves to the writer’s notebook, you speak of.

It is an effective way to get to the Common Core Standards.

I look forward to implementing your ideas in my classroom in September. I love the immersion philosophy.

Thank you.

• 2. Deb Dowd  |  June 26th, 2014 at 9:36 am

I love all the great ideas you shared this morning about immersing students in non-fiction. I can’t wait to revamp my old outdated non-fiction library in my classroom.

Thanks so much.

• 3. Jackie Moquin  |  June 26th, 2014 at 10:04 am

Love your presentation! I loved your ideas about creating a better non-fiction library.

• 4. Kristin Murphy  |  June 26th, 2014 at 10:07 am

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions! I look forward to using them and buying the books you recommended!

• 5. Martha Godfroy  |  June 26th, 2014 at 10:07 am

Great session this morning, received many resources for nonfiction texts.
    I am especially excited about using the book matching technique with some of my struggling readers.

• 6. Kristin Murphy  |  June 26th, 2014 at 10:08 am

Thanks so much for your ideas – I look forward to using your ideas for writing and non-fiction next fall.

• 7. Roseann Lee  |  June 26th, 2014 at 10:11 am

Having used your “notebook books” this year with great success I am glad to have a chance to hear you in person. My set up for next year will focus on making my nonfiction books more attractive and accessible to my kids!

• 8. Michele Fiske  |  June 26th, 2014 at 10:11 am

Very informative keynote presentation this morning at the Wayland Literacy Institute today about developing non-fiction writers in the classroom!

• 9. Deborah Niles  |  June 26th, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Thank you so much for interesting and informative sessions today. I liked the hands-on practice for creating anchor charts, as well as the great mentor texts.

• 10. Bill Shea  |  July 15th, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Aimee, I really liked your book Notebook Know How. This should help me a lot. However, I teach 7th grade ELA and the kids coming in are not familiar with Writing Workshop. I tried implementing this last year but it did not work. I spent most of my time on either classroom management or too much time with individual students. Can you recommend something I can refer to to get the A, B C’s of creating a Writing Workshop?