March 10th, 2014
In their new book Intentional Talk, Elham Kazemi and Allison Hintz show teachers how to direct discussions with a goal in mind, whether it be to generate lots of problem-solving strategies or to target a particular idea. Through numerous classroom vignettes and practical examples, you’ll see how to teach all students to participate in meaningful ways and support their thinking using effective questioning and teacher “talk moves.”
Different types of goals require planning and leading discussions differently. Elham and Allison show you how to do this, with printable planning templates and chapters focusing on:
- defining & clarifying key mathematical concepts and terms;
- comparing similarities and differences among strategies;
- justifying why specific strategies work;
- determining the best solution strategy; and
- thinking through errors and building on partial understanding.
You can now pre-order and preview Intentional Talk online, in its entirety.
Entry Filed under: math